Friday, May 22, 2009

It was a good day

So today was a good day.
We had Owen's IEP meeting at school today and I have to say I am shocked I didn't cry! First Time!! Owen gets the biggest high five ever because he is doing so good in school. First all of his teachers at the IEP call Owen a success story. Everything they have done has worked so well with Owen. He has become more independant on figuring out if he needs a break or not and expressing his feelings to his teachers. He is at the point where they feel he doesn't need a teacher's helper in the room for him. However this may get looked at again once the school year starts up again.. if they feel he needs one they will bring one in, but from what they can see he does not need that extra help. He will continue taking his breaks, but his breaks are to the point where he walks out of his classroom and jumps 10 jumps on the trampoline and he goes back in. Owen still has headphones in his desk. These are taken for assemblies in the gym or Owen will put them on himself when he is at his desk working and there is too much noise. Owen's teacher said that she thinks he can be placed anywhere in the classroom, as far as desk location, and he does very well. He knows that when he is at his desk you need to work. The best news I got out of this meeting is his teacher just did his reading assesment on him and he is at grade level. I don't know exactly what level that is, but I think I wanted to cry at that point. He always could get there but he needed the extra help, now he can do it all on his own. His math is awesome. His teacher even said that he could move up to the next level (he is at the lower level) but the reason he is there is because it is more hands on. So it makes sense. So like I said what an awesome feeling.. I am so proud of him. Now Logan and I are waiting for him to get home to find out how he did on his spelling test.. I told Owen that if he got all his words right and two bonus words right we will go to Night at the Museum 2. He has to be excited. I think no matter what we will go, because I am so proud of him and all his accomplishments. Logan gets to go too because he did not have an attitude with daycare today. Yes this boy has developed an attitude. He told me a situation that happened today at daycare and said "is that attitude??" I told him no and then had to explain what an attitude is. I think he was a little worried because he had an hour to wait until Owen got home, he didn't want to ruin his chances of going.. So like I said.. What an awesome day!! Now a three day weekend!!

5 comments:

Brenda said...

Oh, Jessica! This has to make your heart feel good! You and Ryan have Owen so much (and so has Logan!), and it sounds like he has had excellent teachers in place. Waht a blessing to receive such good news!!

Laughsalot said...

It was the best thing.. You know your right my heart feels so good, but almost like I can breathe again, if that makes any sense. When Owen started K it was so hard. You don't understand what is going on with him and why he is acting different then the other kids. But now I look at him and I just see Owen. We understand him so much more.. and as a bonus he is doing an awesome job. Its just a great feeling

Laughsalot said...

Oh by the way.. Owen got 5 of the 6spelling words correct. He spelt they're as there. But he got 4 out of 5 bonus words right!!! So we were able to go see the movie..

Linda said...

That is so great! Makes me want to cry - we could tell the changes in him every time we saw him and we are so proud to hear how good he is doing! You are right - Owen is Owen and we don't see the things that are wrong - but it is good that others could and they could help him - everyone deserves to have the best school experience they can and it looks like he is going to get that too!

Patti said...

I know why he has made such remarkable progress-he has two awesome parents that have supported him and his school throughout everything. Plus an awesome brother! That makes all the difference in the world-give yourselves a huge pat on the back-you deserve it and so does Owen. He is such a precious boy! Oh -that Logan! He just cracks me up with the attitude story! Too funny!